To be eligible to be a Member of Gumala Aboriginal Corporation you must be 18+ years of age, complete an application form for Membership and must be recognised as an individual of one of our three language groups: Banyjima, Nyiyaparli or Innawonga. If you are a registered Member of Gumala Aboriginal Corporation, you will be entered onto our Register of Members.
What Membership entitles you to
You must be either a Member of the Corporation or a Beneficiary of the Trust in order to access programs and benefits from Gumala. For this reason, when applying or Membership with GAC, you must also apply to become a Beneficiary of the Trust. This can be done through a joint Beneficiary Status & Membership Application form.
Some other rights of a GAC Member include:
- The right to attend, speak and vote at meetings of the Corporation
- To be elected or appointed as a Director of the Corporation
- The right to inspect registers
Some responsibilities of a GAC Member include:
- To comply with the GAC Rule Book
- To notify the Corporation of any change in address details within 28 days
- To comply with Member codes of conduct
- To treat other Members with respect and dignity
- To not behave in a way that significantly interferes with the operation of the Corporation and Corporation meetings.
Our Application Reviewing Process
Once an application is sent to us for Membership / Beneficiary Status or both, the application is sent to the Foundation Application Review Committee for assessment and review. This committee make recommendations to the GAC and GIPL Boards respectively about the applications. The criteria to become a Gumala Member is that you are biologically linked to an original signatory of the Yandi Land Use Agreement.
The GAC Board approve Memberships. The GIPL Board approves Beneficiary Status. For this reason, the committee is made up of TO Director’s from both the GAC and GIPL Boards. This ensures the decision making is consistent regarding the outcomes of Membership applications.
How to apply
To apply to become a Gumala Member, please complete this form and return it to us with a copy of your birth certificate. Applications can be sent to email@example.com.